Our work has been published in Progressive Architecture, in Metropolitan Home, in numerous planning journals, and has been featured on National Public Radio, CNN’s Earthwatch, and in BusinessWeek. Dover-Kohl projects have also been profiled in The New Urbanism by Peter Katz, Rural By Design by Randall Arendt, Sustainable Urbanism by Douglas Farr, Retrofitting Suburbia by Ellen Dunham-Jones, Form-Based Codes by Daniel Parolek, as well as Land Use Strategies and Public Participation Tools, both published by the Center for Livable Communities.
Victor Dover and John Massengale’s new book, Street Design: The Secret to Great Cities and Towns, is on bookshelves now. Writing the book has helped the Dover-Kohl team reach a new understanding of the possibilities for streets in American cities in modern times. Dover Kohl especially understands how to preserve local distinctiveness and a sense of place while also enhancing usability for all modes of travel – pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit users – and creating great addresses.
The Secret to Great Cities and Towns
This transformative, illustrated guide reveals:
- Over 150 excellent streets, why they are successful, and how they were created
- Crucial elements that many modern street designs lack
- Step-by-step instructions for designing new streets and fixing existing ones to create a more desirable-- and more valuable-- village, town or metropolis
- More than 500 photos and drawings, never before published
- Favorite streets and street-making stories from Leon Krier, Gianni Longo, Gabriele Tagliaventi, John Norquist, and more than a dozen other leading design experts
- Street Design is essential reading for anyone who wants to make their community more livable. Discover why some streets are not merely routes to someplace else, but the great addresses to which other routes lead.
In stores and online - Order it from Amazon.
Books About Dover-Kohl's Work
Home From Nowhere: Remaking Our Everyday World for the 21st Century
By James Howard Kunstler
(See Ch. 11, "Remodeling Hell," to read Dover-Kohl's thoughts on fixing suburban sprawl in Florida)
Alternative Methods of Land Development Regulation
Seminar for Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Charrettes for New Urbanism
by Victor Dover
City View Brings Life to Downtown
Article in July/August 2005 Apartment Finance Today
Creating Resilient Caribbean Communities
Disaster Digest December 2009, by Elma Felix, Andrew Georgiadis and Chris Podstawski
Article in the July 2004 issue of the South Miami Times by Victor Dover
Four Corners of Law
Letter from Victor Dover to Charleston, SC Bar Association
National Audubon Society Smart Growth Conference
Keynote address by Victor Dover
Essay from University of Maryland speaker series publication
Where Would you Prefer to Live?
A visual quiz by Victor Dover & Sam Poole